Categories, fees and services
Membership is open to research, education, and innovation organisations in New Zealand. This includes Crown research institutes, universities, institutes of technology and polytechnics, wananga, schools, libraries, health and government agencies, and private sector partners.
Categories of membership
Contact REANNZ if you're not sure what membership category you fit into.
Members are the foundation of our community. These education and research organisations are spearheading the use and development of technology to accelerate their activities. The Member category includes:
- Member - which is open to Universities, Crown Research Institutes, National Library of New Zealand, Institutes of Technology, Polytechnics and Wananga
Associate members are organisations that deliver education or research or that provide education or research services. There are two classes of Associate:
- Full Associates - organisations that are solely or principally undertaking or providing education or research services. These include schools, libraries, archives, museums, galleries, research organisations and government agencies
- Divisional Associates - where a particular division and section of an organisation provides the services described above, even if the organisation as a whole does not qualify
Partners are government and state service organisations that have a role in providing, co-ordinating or administering education or research, and private businesses who may have a similar role or carry out their own research. There are three classes of Partner:
- Research and Education Partner - organisations (other than Members, Associates and Content and Service Providers) that provide research, education, training or teaching services
- Technology Partner - organisations conducting technology trials or pilots with REANNZ members or REANNZ
- Sponsored Partner - any business conducting a research or education interaction with a Member (for up to 12 months)
Content and Service Provider
Content and Service Providers are any private business that wishes to provide content or services to our members. What these organisations can do and access on our network is governed by our Content and Service Provider Policy (pdf, 78KB) and our Settlement Free Peering policy.
Member services and connection options
There are different services and connection options avaliable depending on your membership catagory. Check out the list of the member services and connection options for each member type.
Contact REANNZ to find out more about these services and connection options.
Membership entitles you to use our network as much and as often as you wish - there are no data caps or bandwidth constraints.
REANNZ is a not-for-profit organisation. Membership fees are invested in the operation and development of the network, services for our members, and the efficient running of REANNZ. Your contribution is complemented by Government investment.
The annual membership fee differs depending on your member type. Members are invoiced by REANNZ for their fees quarterly in advance. Annual membership fees for organisations in the ‘Member’ category are negotiated on an sector basis. For all other member types, see the table below.
|Associate members||Member fee/year|
|Public/state agencies||$28,000 - $75,000|
|Nationally significant cultural institutions; Independent research organisations (multisite)||$28,000|
|Galleries, libraries, museums; ITOs; Independent research organisations (single site)||$11,400|
* Based on the school roll return as notified to, and publish by, the MoE at 1 March.
To connect your school to the REANNZ community see here.
|Government or state agency Research and Education Partners with less than 300 staff||$28,000|
|Government or state agency Research and Education Partners with more than 300 staff||$50,000|
|Private business Research and Education, Technology or Sponsored Partners||$11,400|
|Content and Service Provider||Dependent on mutual benefit case as per policy|